Kit – ice cream maker

I bought my husband an ice cream maker for his Christmas present. It was kind of against my will. I have to move the many pieces of his juicer every time I want to get to the butter beans, so I knew this would mean further clutter in what is already a very spacially challenged kitchen.

But selflessly, I bought it. And, I am SO glad I did, I’ve had a good ice cream or sorbet pretty much once a week ever since. Last night was probably one of the best. Blood orange and rose water sorbet. I’m not very good at talking about the “intense flavours of this…” and the “superb texture of that…”. All I can say is that I ate everything on my plate, then seconds, then scraped out the container and finally went into a separate room and drank the remnants from the frozen bowl of the ice cream maker. Yep, it was good.
All that pleasure for about £30. I initially did an enormous amount of research, scouring Which? and online reviews, trying to decide which ice cream maker to buy. I ended up with a Kenwood which broke in the first week, so now we have a John Lewis own make and it’s fine.
Also, although ice cream is very rich and a bit expensive to make, because of all that double cream, sorbet costs virtually nothing. My husband is the king of odd flavour combos, using up wierd things leftover in the fridge, but they always work. Kiwi and coriander; beetroot, apple and ginger. It’s opened up all sorts of new culinary avenues, and it’s a fantastic and relatively healthy way to end a meal. I’d like to say the kids love it too, but to be honest I don’t think there’s ever been any left for them to try the next day. Which is a bit mean really, isn’t it? Maybe we’ll try something for them at the weekend. Claire
Lucy says: “My five-year-old asked for an ice cream maker for her fourth birthday (haven’t a clue why, she must have seen it on an advert) so we got her a small freezer size magimix and we use it lots. Mostly for sorbet too – orange and lemon being the favourites.

“I am trying to encourage the soon-to-be-three-year-old to ask for a Kenwood Mixer for her birthday next month, but so far she’s sticking by a new toy pram, but with three weeks to go I am still hopeful.”

8 Comments

1. that sorbet sounds delicious, even before breakfast!

2. You have just reminded me that I can put things other than egg yolks, sugar and double cream into my ice cream maker. Sorbet here we come!

3. I’ve just come across your blog thanks to the KitchenMaid [http://kitchen-maid.blogspot.com/] and the first post I came across was this one! Having been known to devour an ice cream cone, complete with 10 scoops on top, the thought of investing in an ice cream maker – for husband of course – certainly appeals!

4. The kitchen aid ice cream maker is grat and it works with the artisan machine so you only then have one bowl cluttering up the kitchen. The only negative is that it needs to be put in the deep freeze ca 12 hrs in advance.

M

5. Thanks anonymous – my small magimix ice cream maker lives in the freezer. But I didn’t know a kitchenaid could make it. Another reason to get one. Now I just need to get my hands on £350.

6. I’ve never made sorbet so excuse my ignorace – do you just put fruit juice into the ice cream maker and that’s it? :)

7. Yup! So easy! Just fruit juice would do it, but nice to jazz it up a bit with different flavours. This is an example: squeeze 5 blood oranges into a measuring jar, add 100ml rosewater and some caster sugar to taste. You don’t want it too sweet, but has to be a bit sweet to get kids to eat it. Pop it in the ice cream maker and churn – takes about 40mins I think. But you could just pop some apple juice in there, maybe with a bit of cinnamon for a twist, and you wouldn’t need any sugar. Or you could buy lychee juice, really sweet, and pop some little bits of kiwi in there too. Now I’m getting carried away…

Submit a Comment