Kit – potato ricer

When I first discovered that potato ricers existed, I wondered what was wrong with the world? Who would spurn the potato masher – such an effective piece of kit? And what kind of kitchenware addict would welcome the additional clutter of a clumsy ricer in their cutlery drawer? People with too much kit and too many drawers, was my answer.
But, people, I do not have much kit (hardly any) and just three drawers in my ENTIRE kitchen, and I have to confess that I have converted. I am now a potato ricer lover. Yes. It’s not an easy thing to confess to. It’s not an easy thing to say. Potato ricer lover. People don’t always take me seriously. More fool them.
Not only does the ricer mean I have smooth, chef-quality mash potato in seconds, but I don’t have to peel the potatoes either. Take that you non-potato ricer lovers. I have no idea how the ricer peels the potato, but that just adds to the doe eyed mystery of it all. I pop the boiled potatoes in the ricer, exert a little pressure and, ta da! Perfect puree in the pan. The only fiddly bit is taking the peel out of the ricer before I put more potatoes in it to be riced, but that is far less fiddly than actually peeling them. There is also less washing up – one ricer vs a peeler and a masher. I’m sure the ricer is quicker, it certainly requires less exertion than a masher, and the end result is infinitely better than your normal mashed potatoes. Just remember to mash the potatoes back into the pan, which is over a low heat, so the potatoes don’t get cold. And you need to add some milk and butter, maybe a sprinkling of salt and pepper, to get the full flavour of the mash.
Ricers are relatively cheap, mine was about £14 but I just saw one in TKMaxx for a fiver, damn! Not bad for something which will change your life.

16 Comments

1. I have long been a potato ricer lover but get this, I HAD NO IDEA I DIDN’T HAVE TO PEEL THE POTATO!

Genius! You’ve saved me at least 10 minutes a week! ;o)

2. I love my potato ricer. Best thing ever.

3. I know! Incredible! I think lots of people don’t realise you don’t have to peel, and it’s not a big selling point in the blurb, but you don’t. Hurrah!

4. They are indeed a great bit of kit, and surely they should use the no peel slogan more which should have people flocking to buy the product. Would you believe it, I am not a big mash eater but the rest of the family LOVE it though!

5. Hallelujah – praise the converted!!!! I was SURE you would love it! Ricers of the world unite, and let’s consign the unwieldy mashers to history!!!

6. I’ve been having the same debate for ages now, thats it I’m buying one tomorrow!Thanks.

7. Oh, I have been wondering about those. For some reasons I always get lumps ever since I moved to the UK. Are potatoes here more lumpy? I am going to get one!!!

8. These one click orders are scary. Bought it already. You should get commission from Amazon 😉

9. I bow at the feet of the mighty potato ricer. It is quite possibly my favourite kitchen gadget ever. Especially since you told me that I don’t have to peel the potatoes 😉

10. I’m very tempted, especially after such a postive review and recommendation. I think I’m just too lazy to wash fiddly things up and dry them though. Good to know they’re so effective though.

11. Glad to have converted some of you! Karien, one click orders are terrifying/brilliant, aren’t they? Let us know how you get on.
    C – be tempted and then dive in! Honestly less fiddly to wash up than masher and peeler.
    BHB – I think it was you who got me on the road to discovery – thank you!
    Mostly Yummy – so glad you’ve discovered the no-peel element!

12. Well I dont always follow my daughters’ advice but this sounded too good to be true. Bought the Oxo Goodgrip one I think it’s called and I love it, it makes super creamy mash and so easy. And I dont particularly like potatoes! Can see endless uses and cant wait to try parsnips, sweet potato, carrots, etc., etc., in fact can feel a veggy fest coming on.

13. Fantastic menu! I have commenced producing my own laundry washing cleaning soap simply just lately — along with like it : but don’t have a pretreatment squirt * These are EASY elements for gonna offer video test!!! Appreciate your publishing it!

14. Oxo good grips is a good one – there’s an adjustable version also just out. I had the original ricer, but dropped it with a full load, and somehow bent it so it didnt work properly. The adjustable one is also very good. Try the reviews here as well –
    Potato ricers site

15. Good piece of kit.. i never thought i’d be using something so ‘trendy’ but I love my ricer. got creative recently and started using it for apple sauce! :)

Submit a Comment